Skip to main content

A Namibia not for Solo or budget travelers

Windhoek is the Capital city of Namibia. It's not surprising that this is the ideal place to start your Namibian adventure. There is a lot to do in Namibia for tourists. From game drives, sandboarding and other sand activities, desert excursions and even the coastal town of Swakopmund offering great entertainment.
In my week here I have realized that Namibia is not a solo travellers dream come true. Most of the activities are very expensive compared to what I have already paid for in other countries such as Botswana.


As much as I like discovering countries as a local, I would also like to feed my adventurous streak and experience some fun times and get my adrenaline going. For me go on a weekend away from Windhoek on an organised your I would end up paying what I have budgeted for for my 2 weeks stay in the country.
Traveling is easy on a budget with a group of friends, you can hire a car and share costs without having to use a your operator. In that case that also means this isn't the place for a solo traveller. Where most activities are, you need transport to get there. You can't use public transport.
I have made peace with not exploring that part of Namibia.


On the other hand there is the Windhoek nightlife which is quiet something to write home about. From theatre to Kareoke nights you will be entertained to no end.

There are also organised excursions to the township, these will cost you about N$300. I made friends with some locals and I only paid N$20 which was my return taxi fare. When in the township, go eat the Kapana. That is a special kind of meat that they braai/barbaque In the township. I hear it's very nice. Have it with the salsa. I can confidently say the salsa is the best I have ever tasted. I am vegetarian so I did not have the Kapana meat. From what I got from the tour organisers for the township tour, I had better experience.

I do not have a lot of pictures of my experiences in the Katitura (Township) as I was warned by locals I need a man to walk with me as I take pictures so that I am safe as some changers would violently take possession of my phone or camera without compensation. It has to be a market and not a gay man - gay men will run to cover their faces when faced with violence as they scream for dear life. Well my local friends are gay so that left me with no one to take pictures with.

Should you be lucky to have a beautiful bank balance that people like me dream of, come discover Namibia. And if you are on a budget, come to Windhoek and find some locals. The nightlife is really amazing and so is the local beer (so I hear about the beer anyways)...

x0x0
#TheSoloWanderer

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling from Nouakchott in Mauritania to Dakar in Senegal over land

Mauritania is a desert country.  Nouakchott is the capital city of Mauritania. Mauritania is a desert country, bring loads of water and sunscreen. Although there is a caveat to bringing loads of water, this trip has no bathroom breaks. I did not see a toilet anywhere and asking the taxi to stop so you can relieve yourself is a bit tricky as there is no bush and you are driving through the desert. So drink loads of water at your own peril. The local taxi to get to the border Take a taxi from Nouakchott to the border with Senegal. The taxi stops about 1km from the border. There are horse carriages available to take you to the border should you need but it is a walkable distance. When you get to the border, you need to produce a copy of your passport. There is a place to photocopy your passport if you don’t have a copy, and there are guys who can change money for you. The border town  is called Rosso. There are plenty of trucks at the border. there is no ...

The Panorama Route in the Kruger Lowveld

Growing up our holidays were made up of family road trips to Mpumalanga with family and family friends. We had quite a huge family as that also included the extended family. My grandparents were very wise about it as they had a small car and then a bigger car that would be able to accommodate all of us for our road trips. Every years we used different gates into the kruger National Park, and because the grandparents were such epic wanderlusters and road trippers - thats where I get it from - They knew how to do this travel business without breaking the bank. It was always self-catering chalets for accommodation. It was mostly the free things to do in the places we would visit so that everyone in the family was accommodated. While in Mpumalanga, The must visit on the itinerary was always the Panorama Route. Whether we started it in Sabie where it begins at the Long tom Pass and went with it all the way to Hazyview or doing it the other way round it didnt matter. We knew there ...

UNESCO World Heritage sites in South Africa

South Africa is a country with such rich heritage, there are definitely places that you need to add to your itinerary on your next visit to our country. I have had the privilege to visit some of the most interesting heritage sites that share a story of our trying history and even the first class society in Southern Africa. The South African Heritage Resource agency is an organisation tasked with protecting the South African Cultural heritage. Local government in the various communities are responsible for the management of the heritage sites in their communities. SAHRA is then responsible for the overall protection of our heritage sites and also the submission of heritage sites to the World Heritage Committee to be added to the tentative list which can then be added to World Heritage sites. Heritage sites also have different levels, we have the World heritage sites, National and provincial heritage sites. I get to share with you some of my favorite Heritage sites in South Afr...