Skip to main content

What Namibians think of South Africa - And the truth.

I have been in Windhoek just over a week and I love it here. Although yesterday was unbearably hot I couldn't function.
Having spent a week in Windhoek meeting the locals, there are some misconceptions (can't think of a better word at this point) that Namibians have about South Africans.
I have put together the 5 that I have dealt with almost daily...

5. Kapana is like Shisanyama.

Honey, No. I might not be a carnivore but the 2 aren't the same thing.
Shisanyama, you buy your meat and braai/bbq it yourself. Usually at a watering hole.
Kapana is what we would call chicken dust, but it's beef strips.

4. Windhoek is like Johannesburg.. you hear this mostly from the locals who have never been to Johannesburg.

So cute! Windhoek is like Nelspruit. But we forgive you.

3. Soweto is a very dangerous place. I don't want to go there.

I've felt safer in Soweto than in Sandton. That's just me.
From my experience, Soweto is much safer than Katitura. Quote me on this one.

2. South Africa is a dangerous country with too much violently crimes.

I am not sure if you locals like scaring the travelers that come to Windhoek or not but from where I'm standing, seems your crime is far worse than in South Africa. No judgement, one day we will come right.

1. Windhoek Local: Hi, how are you?
Me: I'm good and you?
WL: Good thanks. Where are you from?
Me: Johannesburg, South Africa.
WL: Aaaahh are you Xhosa?
Me: *blank stare* No.
WL: Oh, then you must be Zulu.

Stop with the ignorance. Not everyone in Namibia is from the Shivamba tribe. In South Africa, not everyone is Zulu or Xhosa. We have 11 tribes. Educate yourself and quit that ignorance. It's really not a good look.

x0x0
#TheSoloWanderer

Popular posts from this blog

Traveling from Nouakchott in Mauritania to Dakar in Senegal over land

Mauritania is a desert country.  Nouakchott is the capital city of Mauritania. Mauritania is a desert country, bring loads of water and sunscreen. Although there is a caveat to bringing loads of water, this trip has no bathroom breaks. I did not see a toilet anywhere and asking the taxi to stop so you can relieve yourself is a bit tricky as there is no bush and you are driving through the desert. So drink loads of water at your own peril. The local taxi to get to the border Take a taxi from Nouakchott to the border with Senegal. The taxi stops about 1km from the border. There are horse carriages available to take you to the border should you need but it is a walkable distance. When you get to the border, you need to produce a copy of your passport. There is a place to photocopy your passport if you don’t have a copy, and there are guys who can change money for you. The border town  is called Rosso. There are plenty of trucks at the border. there is no ...

The Panorama Route in the Kruger Lowveld

Growing up our holidays were made up of family road trips to Mpumalanga with family and family friends. We had quite a huge family as that also included the extended family. My grandparents were very wise about it as they had a small car and then a bigger car that would be able to accommodate all of us for our road trips. Every years we used different gates into the kruger National Park, and because the grandparents were such epic wanderlusters and road trippers - thats where I get it from - They knew how to do this travel business without breaking the bank. It was always self-catering chalets for accommodation. It was mostly the free things to do in the places we would visit so that everyone in the family was accommodated. While in Mpumalanga, The must visit on the itinerary was always the Panorama Route. Whether we started it in Sabie where it begins at the Long tom Pass and went with it all the way to Hazyview or doing it the other way round it didnt matter. We knew there ...

UNESCO World Heritage sites in South Africa

South Africa is a country with such rich heritage, there are definitely places that you need to add to your itinerary on your next visit to our country. I have had the privilege to visit some of the most interesting heritage sites that share a story of our trying history and even the first class society in Southern Africa. The South African Heritage Resource agency is an organisation tasked with protecting the South African Cultural heritage. Local government in the various communities are responsible for the management of the heritage sites in their communities. SAHRA is then responsible for the overall protection of our heritage sites and also the submission of heritage sites to the World Heritage Committee to be added to the tentative list which can then be added to World Heritage sites. Heritage sites also have different levels, we have the World heritage sites, National and provincial heritage sites. I get to share with you some of my favorite Heritage sites in South Afr...