Fun Filled Free Activities in Addis Ababa

There are a few things you can do in Addis. Addis is a really big city. I have loved and enjoyed Ethiopia as they do not have class zoning. Everyone stays together, they do not have suburbs for the rich as we do here in South Africa. So I have put together a few things you would love to check out while in Ethiopia.


1. Visit Africa's largest market - Addis Mercato
Addis Mercato is Africas largest open air market. Here you can buy anything and everything traditional where Ethiopia is concerned. When I visited the market, I expected a dirty place with no tar roads and wet muddy streets, not this market... This market is a city within the city of Addis Ababa.

2. Addis Ababa is a city surrounded by mountains, I truly recommend you take the time to explore these mountains. I took the time to hike up Yeka forest. I was never ready for what I found. There were ancient ruins up the mountain. We found someone had been digging up the bombs from these ancient ruins. The issue is, the ruins are not protected by the Government and therefore the locals are destroying them unknowingly of what rich history they hold. 

If you are interested in reading more about the unprotected ancient ruins of Ethiopia, check out Marcos blog here... 

3. Definitely visit an Ethiopian club. Dance to some local tunes. 
The upper body flexibility that is required to dance like an Ethiopian is something I will always envy, I stay practicing. 

4. You have to visit an Ethiopian coffee stand. Get served coffee the traditional way. When coffee beans are roasted and brought to you to smell. 
Unfortunately I am allergic to caffeine so I could never taste the coffee. 

5. Walk the streets of Addis. Just walk the streets and see the people and how they interact. I have a weird, stalker tendency of watching people just to learn a bit more about them. 
While you do the walk, make a shotleft to the African Union Headquarters. Ok, they probably won't let you in but just walk around the headquarters. 

x0x0 
#TheSoloWanderer