Mapungubwe Arts Fest Launch


Thursday, 29 November I drove to Mapungubwe National park in Limpopo to attend the media briefing of the Mapungubwe Arts Festival hosted by the Limpopo department of Sports, Arts and Culture.
This year the event will be held in at the city of Polokwane from the 4th - 12th December 2015. The festival is aimed at promoting social cohesion and nation building by showcasing the cultural diversity of the nation.

The Festival will open on the 4th of December with a street cultural carnivalthrough the streets of Polokwane and the carnival will end at the Jack Botes Park with performances fom up and coming artists from South Africa and also Zimbabwe. There will also be the Mapungubwe craft market which will run from the 4th – 11th also at Jack Botes Park showcasing the best of Limpopo arts and crafts artists.

On the 5th December, festival goers will be blown away with a Gospel festival happening at the Polokwane cricket grounds featuring artists like Joyous Celebrations, Pastor Solly Mahlangu, Urban Matjila,Winnie Mashaba, Sfiso Ncwane, Worship House, Maduvha Madima and many more.

From the 8th – 10th December, at the Jack Botes Hall there will be a variety of theatrical shows that will be staged daily from 18:00, telling stories of ordinary Limpopo residents ranging from Drama to comedy.

On the 11th December the Department will host a pre-party for all those that know how to boogy all night. This party will be a battle of the DJ’s, with artists such as Black Coffee, Casper Nyovest, DJ Shimza, DJ Ganyani, Miss Hellen, Rabs Vhafuwi just to name a few. The venue is yet to be announced for the Battle of the DJ’s but with a line-up like this one, it promises to be another one of the great parties that the city of Polokwane offers.. And trust me, anyone who has ever partied in this city will tell you that a party with a line-up like this will only leave you wanting more.

The final and main event will be the Jazz and Heritage festival that will also be held at the Polokwane Cricket club with a line up that is more insane than that of the battle of the DJ’s. You will have an opportunity to get on the Tuku Train – I know I am excited about that since I will get to see Oliver Mtukudzi perform in my home country for the first time… I always chase him to foreign countries and I can never get enough of his performances.
Other artists on that line up include: Selaelo Selota, Ray Phiri & Stimela, Thomas Mafumo, Yvone Chakachaka, Sipho Hotstix Mabuse, Thomas Chauke, Colbert Mukwevho and so many others. Of course Ringo Madlingozi will also be performing, one man who made me fall in love with the Xhosa language and I could never catch him in concert. This means I will finally get to see him perform.

Now do you get to be part of all this fun?
Simple really – The tickets for the Gospel Festival, Battle of the DJ’s and the Jazz and Heritage Festival will be sale soon and the general entrance tickets will range between R100 and R150.
All the other events will have free entrance.
I will bring you all the information you need regarding the festival and should I delay, feel free to contact me directly with any questions.
And if you play nice, and I mean really nice…. I might just give away a few tickets – who knows.

For now, that is all, I will see you in Polokwane soon.

x0x0

#TheSoloWandera